Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Sherlock TV Series


So I love Sherlock Holmes. I find the stories fun, intelligent, and always baffling in a good way. So I was ecstatic when I saw a promo on PBS (Yes, I love the Antiques Roadshow) for their Masterpiece Mystery program of an updated Sherlock show from BBC a couple of months ago. It was created by Steven Moffet and Mark Gatiss who also work on another of my favourite shows Doctor Who. Moffet and Gatiss very cleverly realized that the original works by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle are incredibly relevant to today’s world. It’s funny too, because there are several plot things that don’t have to been changed in the least in order to work. For instance, in the original work Watson has returned with an injury from Afghanistan, and that (well unfortunately) mirrors today’s world.
I was able to watch the show when it aired on PBS and I fell in love with Martin Freeman’s portrayal of Watson, and Benedict Cumberbatch’s portrayal of Sherlock. Each actor brings a great vitality to their respective roles and the dynamic between the two actors is brilliant. After watching “A Study in Pink” I was already hooked, but disappointed when I learned there were only 3 episodes in the series. Luckily each episode is 1 ½ hours long, which is nice when you find out how short the season is. I was recently given the first season on DVD and I have already rewatched them a couple of times.
I really enjoy how the filmmakers have brought a gritty realism to the show, the characters are not stuffy, discussing the plots in a parlour over a couple of pipes of tobacco, but they employ cell phones, computers, and talk with each other like normal people. I don’t know if this production was influenced at all by the Guy Richie film, but that grittiness is what I think works in both projects (Side note here, I enjoyed the Richie film as well with Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law as well, for different reasons. I love Robert Downey Jr.’s sort of crazy portrayal of the character).
I know the show isn’t on television right now, but if you have means to find it online, at the library, or through Itunes, or even buy the season on dvd. I really recommend it. It is great fun, and you will not regret at least watching the first episode.
Best Random Parts of the Show:
Una Stubbs as “Mrs Hudson” and her refrain of “I’m not your housekeeper”. The use of technology in the show; specifically the “wrong” text message in the first episode. Watson being more of a partner and less of a biographer.

No comments:

Post a Comment