Monday, February 7, 2011

The Green Hornet


The Green Hornet
Last week I went to see “The Green Hornet” with a girl friend of mine. As a woman, I know that the popular “comic book” movies are not really aimed at my demographic, yet I often love them. I think it’s the possibility that you can be more than what you are that really pulls me in.
Here is a quick synopsis for those of you who may not know anything about it. Britt Reid (portrayed by Seth Rogen) is the son a wealthy newspaper owner who has died, thus leaving the last family run newspaper in the incapable hands of Brit. Through a series of events, Brit is mistaken for a villain and decides that in order to foil other bad guys he will become one himself in order to take them down from the inside. With the aid of his new friend and his father’s former mechanic Kato (portrayed by Jay Chou), Reid becomes “The Green Hornet” (even though, it’s really Kato who does all the work.)
I felt the movie was cleverly written and the effects were good, but nothing more than what was to be expected. The highlights, for me, were the scenes between Kato and Reid as their friendship started and continued through the film. However, I felt that the subplot with Cameron Diaz (as Lenore Chase) was a bit pointless and a waste of Diaz within the film. Though her acting was fine and there was chemistry between Diaz, Rogen, and Chou, she was underutilized. Christoph Waltz was a great villain, who managed not to be one-note, which he could have been.
Best random parts of the movie....The use of Beethoven’s Eroica symphony, Coolio’s Gangsta’s Paradise, and James Franco’s cameo.
Overall, the film was great fun, but definitely a popcorn and candy kind of film, not a coffee and pastry sort of film.
***1/2 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment